Friday, March 14, 2014

Student Teaching: Week 8!

It's crazy to think that I'm more than half way done with this experience already! As I sit and reflect upon what I've learned in the past 8 weeks my mind is spinning.

What's really bothering me this week is student motivation! Specifically the labeling done by IEPs. I have students with an IEP and I don't understand why they have an IEP. I have students without IEPs and I wonder why they DON'T have an IEP! The educational system is failing students! My students do everything for completion it's never about what they learn only what they have to do and what they're grade is... It's very frustrating as a teacher! I have one student that does absolutely nothing. He sits beside the magazine rack and reads a magazine most periods. According to his IEP he must have teachers notes, so I give him the teacher's notes and he then he doesn't complete the guided notes. So I stopped giving him teacher's notes and he still doesn't do the guided notes. I ask him to do something and (very respectfully) he just says nahhh. According to his IEP he can turn work in anytime until the end of the marking period and can't receive late credit. For a student that lacks ambition that's not a very good way to make him successful! It's a battle that I guess I decided isn't worth fighting, as far as the magazines because he isn't distracting other students and he doesn't read anything he just looks at pictures so my head wants to believe that he's listening... He had an assessment this week and I don't understand is that he did ALL of the math to figure out the ear notching on the piglets, but left the next page blank because its short answer! And the answers to the test were throughout the test! He answered the questions correctly for multiple choice all he had to do was write the answer but he didn't. He's not even doing the bare minimum to get by! And for someone that hates school why not try at least hard enough to get out of it!!

I also have a very unmotivated officer team! My cooperating teacher and I since the beginning of my internship have been questioning the work ethic of our officer team. I from the beginning thought it was poor and now that my teacher isn't teaching she has time on her hands to realize what they are contributing to the chapter, and it's very minimal. When asked to do something they get upset. They want all of the credit for having a 2-star chapter but they don't want to put the effort into making that so for years to come. They don't communicate and they don't care. I just don't know what to do to help make them motivated and care about the success of their chapter!

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection Annette. Every teacher struggles with understanding the IEP process. I can understand your frustrations. But here is may suggestion to you concerning your classroom students and unmotivated officer team, make sure you are developing a felt need. This may take a few different 'takes' to reach all students, but try and hit different points of WHY students should know something. You need to make it applicable and relevant to where they are at in their life right now. Creating and implementing effective interest approaches is the best way to achieve this, however, it may take more time out of class to establish this, and that is okay because in the end, they will be more engaged and excited about what they are learning! Also, now is the time to try new and exciting teaching methods. Hold students more accountable for their learning, implement more IBI and PBL activities. Not only are they taking their learning into their own hands, but you are increasing their awareness of why it is/should be important to them to know and understand the material.

    As always, never be afraid to seek out assistance from the AEE Instructional team! We are always here to help!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete