Friday, November 15, 2013

Inquiry Based Lab Reflection

By far my best lab. Which is a big shocker given it was the most difficult. Dr. Foster gave an excellent model of IBI when teaching about the technique, and having the opportunity to watch it in action with Mr. Clark, and then having Mr. Clark put us through the ringer was a great experience. It all really helped things to click in my head. But I was still stuck on the idea that we needed to use the scientific method, the original model and the requirement of "a piece of scientific equipment" had me in that mindset, so I designed mine around it and it went just fine.

The root of my success was my content knowledge. I felt most comfortable with this lab because was very comfortable with the material.

One of the things stressed to us was that the students can have whatever they want but they needed to ask for it. To facilitate this I kept two items from the students until they asked for it.

1. The Salt
2. The Recipe for Ice Cream in a Bag

The question was "Does fat content affect the freezing point of milk?" I had an idea that it would, but I never had a chance to test it first myself so I was also anticipating the results, and it turns out that it does.

Like Mr. Clark had done, I first had the students brainstorm what they could measure with the items on the front table, and I then gave them a reading about the freezing point of milk. One thing I struggle with is remembering that people really are NOT psychic and can NOT read my mind. I always assume that because I'm thinking it people will just know. This is definitely need to work on. My thoughts were:

"The reading is about the freezing point of milk and I have heavy cream and skim milk on the front table, I'm basically spoon feeding them"

I wasn't.

They did get what I wanted to some degree but I formed the question for them which I planned on doing anyway.

Something that I really had to stress to the students was "what is frozen milk" and "utilize all of the materials on the front table!" Once again I assumed that they knew how to make ice cream in a bag but surprisingly they didn't so It was really exciting to watch them learn how!

I really enjoyed this lab because the learners were very engaged, so engaged that they forgot about their classroom management roles. Of course their is always room for improvement but I do feel pretty good about this one.

My biggest achievement with this lab was effectively utilizing PowerPoint, i am getting better at knowing how visual resources can amp my lessons!

Next Lab: Real Students at a Real School! Very excited =D

3 comments:

  1. Annette, this is a great blog. It is really enlightening to see a cohort member who really excelled at this lab. Your idea about the ice cream seems like it could be really engaging, and interesting to the students. I think if you can improve every week then you're doing something right. Also, powerpoints are your friend! Use everything to your advantage because variability is key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette,

    It stinks that I was unable to stick around for your entire lab. You know I am a big fan of yours, and was looking forward to seeing you teach in action. I really wanted to learn how to make ice cream this way!!! A very interesting topic, very interesting approach.

    You mentioned that you were comfortable with this lab because you knew the content well. I couldn't agree more. When I am teaching about soils and food, I am in the zone!! Keep having fun with it, I know you are going to be a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler failed to mention above that he really just loves food haha! That's awesome that this was your best lab, it was not that for me! You must have gotten a better understanding and picture of it in your mind from all the teaching better that I had since it seems like you were confidante in it and knew you were going to rock it! I liked how you kept things missing from them until they asked you to have them. The engagement of every student is why I like IBI so much as well!

    ReplyDelete