Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Life Knowledge at Juniata HS

I had a great time teaching at Juniata High School! It was a completely different experience than Central Mountain! I taught a lesson entitled "Understanding values, beliefs, character, and integrity" It was a pretty deep lesson...

I taught all day, and even after teaching 6 periods I felt less drained than one period for three days at Central Mountain. I had at least a dozen students that sat through the lesson two or three times. The students we're very smart they learned real fast to dig their papers out of the trash can or keep them folded nicely in their folder for all of the periods they had to sit through. One boy had four periods so he definitely understands values, beliefs, character, and integrity.

What was great to see was the leadership through out the classes, the students that had the lesson more than once stepped up to help give direction to the students around them.

This was the first time I could actually feel the enthusiasm in myself while teaching. The first period class was 26 freshman and they we're a little crazy, but it was fun, and after they left Mrs. Morgan said..."And your still smiling."

Some things I struggled with was determining what was when I had to much to cover in one period what do I keep and what do I leave out. Every period I made different decisions as to what I would keep and what I would leave out. Since there were so many students that were repeats I also tried to change up the instruction so it wasn't to boring for them, that was really hard. The power of proximity control is a pretty great thing! But I have on student that could care less how close you are. I was pretty much hanging over his desk trying to get closer and closer and he didn't care, I'll definitely remember him in the spring...

The objectives for the students and my objectives we're very different. My objectives were to get a feel for the different classes and how the students interacted with each other, how they learned, and what motivated them. I feel that I met my objectives and I think the students met their objectives as well.


1 comment:

  1. That is very interesting that you have so many students multiple times throughout the day! I'm sure that was very challenging to keep them engaged towards the end! I'm glad you had such a positive experience at your cooperating center!!

    ReplyDelete