Monday, April 28, 2014

ACES Conference

My trip to ACES as an advisor rather than a student was much different than anything I've ever done before. I've been away from home for so long that I forgot there was such a thing until I took 20 students to ACES, while I was at ACES my cooperating teacher shared with me that this trip is some students first time away from home and surprisingly some even get homesick! I thought that what she does to alleviate any stress of being away was very admirable. While the students were in sessions Mrs. Morgan and I went to target and bought little goodie baskets and put snacks and drinks in them. Her real motive was to make the kids feel more at home but when she gave the snacks to the students at lights out time she simple said "now you have drinks and food, there is no reason for you to leave your room! Lights out at 11:00." All of the students appreciated the gestures and we had no issues with students.

I also learned that it's not necessary to make the Sunday morning reflections mandatory! Just tell
the students that you will be there and you're not saving any seats, it's amazing how many students get out of bed for reflections with the threat of sitting at a table of complete strangers.

ACES was a good experience for realizing how many hats an advisor wears! In just one weekend I played so many roles each student needed a different person in their lives and I had to change to accomodate all of the people, some needed someone to say "don't dance with the boys like that" some needed to hear "just talk to someone, it's really not that scary" and some needed to hear that they need to either "pull their skirt down or go change!" I really enjoyed my weekend away to the ACES conference and looking back I realize that being the advisor is more rewarding than being the student.

No comments:

Post a Comment