Sunday, April 6, 2014

Student Teaching: Week 11!

As I wind down my teaching load I have more of a chance to not only reflect upon what I have done but also to watch my cooperating teacher teach. Of course with all of the observations I've done and with my week prior to teaching I was able to observe; however, now that I have taught for several weeks observing others teach makes so many more connections. For example I often have a hard time making the felt need to know in three minutes and I see her take a whole period just to explain why what they are going to discuss over the next few weeks is important! I mentioned this to her and she had nothing really to say as to help me it "just comes natural." Now I'm sure that there is a way to go from where I am to where she is where everything "just comes natural" but my question is how do you get there! What's the path to getting there! The only answer I've been able to get is it just takes experience which comes with time...

I knew going into this that it would be difficult when I have students that I just can't get through to. When there are students that leave before I have a chance to make them really care! I've had that student. One of my freshman students is really a nice kid he just has a rough life, and this last fight he was in was apparently the final straw. As I walked to the office with my teacher on Friday he was there with a school withdrawal form for her to sign. I was surprised with how much it affected me! I thought that if I had just given him enough help in order to be successful in my class it would make him care enough to stick it out. Granted he is going to another school but does that mean he will be more successful there than at our school. Something makes me doubt that...

1 comment:

  1. Annette, you know the old saying "Practice makes perfect" right? Well, that's what it is going to take; making sure you plan to address felt need and following through with the activity. Often times young teachers have a difficult time connecting why the students would think its important and decide to not even address it in class. Keep in mind, the whole purpose of the interest approach is to capture your audiences attention. This is a great place to develop that felt need. So even though you might think your interest approach is silly it matters! I love your passion and care for students. You are going to make a great educator!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete