Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student Teaching: Week 13!

Sadly, this is my last week teaching classes, next week I'll be doing observations. It's been a really fun and enjoyable week, with having only one class to teach I've been trying more fun and creative things. Wednesday was a guest speaker and Thursday they made ice cream in a bag!

I brought in a guest speaker when we were on the swine industry and now again for the beef industry. They were both great speakers. With the beef industry I asked him to talk not only about his slaughter plant but also about his own experience as an Ag student. It was great! It's right around the time for students to schedule and I had a very successful person come in and promote Ag ed. He discussed his SAE, the hardships he had with it, and how it lead him to where he is now.

Thursday we made ice cream and I never thought it would be such a mess! For three days I told the kids to remember to bring gloves in and they kept asking why I told them their hands would be cool. A group of boys decided they were to tough for gloves and they would be fine without. It was really funny when they kept putting their bags of ice cream down because their hands were cold. The students really enjoyed it and they learned about various dairy products with the movie they watched afterward. Of course nothing ever goes as planned, though the end product was the same (the students got ice cream) it was very unstructured. So I know for next time to do things differently!

1 comment:

  1. Annette, it is amazing how fast this semester flew by! I do strongly encourage you to spend some time during your observations to reflect deeper on your teaching style and approaches and really identify where your strengths and weaknesses are. I also encourage you to watch Mrs. Morgan and take notes on her style and how her approaches differ from yours, also look at the WHY and HOW.

    Looking forward to seeing you on campus next week!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete